Wednesday, July 23, 1980
Dear Diary, we went to swimming lessons while Mom went to take grandpa home from the hospital. On our way back from swimming lessons, Pop got a haircut. Mom was back before we were. When we got back I watched T.V. for a little bit. Then I went to Mrs. Hoffman's house to rake leaves. I got a dollar and a quarter from it. When I got back I had Piano lessons. When I got back, I watched T.V., had supper, and talked to Pop about problems around the house so we could solve them.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Dear Weblog, I'm only halfway through my day, but Baby is taking a nap, so now is my precious chance to catch up on the computer work for the day. If I try to do it while he's awake, my sentences tend to lzzzlzzxxook like th0012653is. Plus, it gets really bad when he manages to press the mouse button at precisely the right time and I end up initializing the installation of some astrological hocus pocus garbage.
My day (though only half over as previously stated) is going right well. It started off a bit better than [husband's]. He was supposed to be up at 5:30 to leave by 6:00 for a very important meeting. Well, that sneaky alarm clock fairy came and turned his off because it never buzzed. We were both awakened at 6:00 when MINE went off. Nothing like bolting upright from a deep sleep, jumping in a cold shower because you have no time to wait for it to get warm, and shaving, brushing your teeth and combing your hair all at the same time while watching the precious minutes tick by. He was out the door by 6:15. Not bad. I've done it in less... all that plus I dressed a baby, changed a diaper, made a bottle, packed two lunches, and signed homework. You other moms know exactly what I'm talking about. I think there should be an olympic speed event called "Getting Out The Door with Children". Just off the top of my head I think I've got half the team already pegged.
Now, I simply cannot sign off until I comment on a few things I've noticed about my early childhood. First of all, I had no idea how important T.V. watching was to me. I mean REALLY. Could I have written at least ONE sentence without the phrase "and then I watched T.V."?? I am glad to see that I did SOME form of exercise... 'course, I couldn't help but notice that I had to be paid a small fortune to do it. Apparently my day simply wasn't complete until I spent at least a couple hours with Greg and Marcia. I must admit that I think I've seen every episode ever made of those dern Bradys. From big fat noses to black wigs to pork chops & applesauce. Don't judge me. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
Second, a life lesson for any of you who are young enough to still learn one. If you are taking piano lessons, DON'T QUIT. Just trust me on this. If your mom says "You'll regret it one day if you quit"... just take my word that she's RIGHT. Been there... heard that... and quit anyway. Wish I hadn't. Maybe I could play more than the one song that I painstakingly plunked away at and memorized so I wouldn't have to read sheet music anymore. My kids think that's the only song this old piano of ours is CAPABLE of playing. If they ever heard something else, they just might fall out of their chair. Ah, but I will say this: At least I can swim. Mom got her money's worth out of those lessons. (Note: my aforementioned memorized song is "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg. But I think it's gone on long enough.)
Lastly, how old did I say I was in 1980??? NINE? What the heck did I know about family problems and how to solve them? What, was I running the family meeting? Did I call my dad into my room and say, "Look, Pop. There's a few things around here that need to change. I think it's high time we had a little chat. Oh, and by the way. You need a haircut."???
Okay, so maybe I did. Get off my case. Family meetings around here occur on Wednesday nights. Must've worked out well.
And just for the record, April, I currently have about 9 diaries/baby books that I'm trying to keep current. And if you count this new fan-dangled computer version that you all pressured me into, that makes 10. Thanks for helping me stay organized. Heck, I've got a book to write in for every kid you have to keep fed. Guess we're even. You plannin' any more? Cuz I'm thinking I'll need to buy a few more pens.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
No judgement here, Michele. I, too, was an honorary Brady. I've seen every episode a bazillion times. Some of my earliest childhood memories are fighting with April over Brady Bunch -VS- MTV (and I do mean fighting - wrestling on the floor, scratching eyes out type stuff).
Post a Comment