Friday, September 21, 2007

A New Chapter

So here I am. You all know me... NOW. But most of you didn't know me THEN. I've wanted to write a book about my life for the longest time. But who am I kidding? That'll never happen. Then I reallized that I've already written a book about my life! It's all there... beginning with the pages of my childhood diary.

July 21, 1980
Dear Diary, we went to swimming lessons, and I had fun! Then we came home and had lunch. Then I watched TV. Next [my brother] cut the grass. Then it rained! We went inside and ate supper. Then Mom, [brother], and I went to the hospital to see grandpa. But [brother] and I couldn't! We're to young.

Now some of you may wonder why I chose to commence this history lesson with such an apparently uneventful day from my past. Well, to start with, it is the earliest self-written record I have of my life. It is the first entry in my beloved Holly Hobbie diary. I was only 9 years old. Second, I think it solidifies the fact that no matter what we may think is exciting enough to be recorded for all eternity, will, in fact, prove to be quite boring and useless later on. Okay, and somewhat funny. Hmmmm... kind of gives my kids more credibility when they come to me with the proverbial "Mom, I'm BORED" line. (Heck, wouldn't you be?) From now on, perhaps my reply should be, "Good. Go document it. You'll find it humorous in 30 years."

If I were properly trained, I suppose I could psychoanalyze my childhood words and perhaps glean some indisputable truth about myself. But then, do I really want to know?

2 comments:

Angie Lessard said...

I love your comment, "Good. Go document it. You'll find it humorous in 30 years." I was sitting here lol when I read it!!

April said...

I think the most telling thing about a person's organizational skills is the fact that she has only one diary at a time. This shows that you started something and stuck with it--unlike me, who would start a diary, quit, start a new diary, quit, find an old diary, start in that one again . . .